A smile without all its teeth is a little bit like a puzzle with a few missing pieces. It almost comes together, but then at the very end, it just… doesn’t. But unlike lost puzzle pieces, you can replace your missing teeth! Dr. Kurt Mackie, your family dentist in Boerne, rebuilds smiles with sturdy dental implants. Keep reading to learn more about this fantastic option in tooth replacement!
All about dental implants in Boerne TX
By far the best option in tooth replacement, dental implants are a comprehensive solution that replaces the missing tooth as well as its missing root. Because when you’ve lost a tooth, you’re missing both — so why replace only half? Other options, like dentures and fixed bridges, only consider the visible portion.
How dental implants work
Sturdy titanium posts, dental implants sort of resemble tiny screws. They’re implanted directly into the space left by each missing tooth, and over a period of about six months, they slowly fuse with the jawbone — a process we call osseointegration. This process is what makes dental implants so effective; after it’s complete, the implants are as sturdy as your natural bone.
After the dental implant recovery has taken place, you come back to Dr. Mackie’s office and the real magic happens. The tops of the implants are exposed and the new tooth replacement is bonded securely on top — and you’re the proud owner of your brand new smile!
Advantages of dental implants
Compared to other options in tooth replacement, it’s really no contest. Dental implants are by far the best choice you can make for rebuilding your smile after tooth loss.
Just a few benefits of implant-supported tooth replacement include:
- Restored ability to eat, speak and smile without the embarrassment of missing teeth
- A fuller, more youthful face shape
- No need to mess with denture adhesives or worry about an ill-fitting device
- Dental implants improve overall oral health
Candidates for dental implants
So you’ve heard all about dental implants, and now you’re wondering if they’re a good option for you and your smile. Let’s get down to it. Good candidates for dental implants are those who:
- Have adequate existing jawbone structure for the dental implants to anchor properly. If too much bone loss has occurred as a result of the tooth loss, a bone graft can be an effective solution.
- Are in solid oral and overall health. Patients with gum disease or serious health conditions, like diabetes, HIV and some types of cancer, are probably not good candidates for dental implants.
The only way to know for sure whether or not dental implants are a good choice for your smile is to schedule your appointment with your 78006 dentist, Dr. Mackie! If you are a good candidate, that’s great news — he can begin putting together your treatment plan immediately. If not, we’ve got a wealth of other wonderful replacement options waiting for you and your smile.